Adding a Manual Transaction
To include external transactions in WHMCS such as when you pay for your
servers or other services, you will need to add manual transactions. This can be
done as follows:
- Go to Transactions > View Transactions List
- Click the Add tab at the top of the page
- The Add Transaction form will be displayed as shown below
- From here you can choose the client it relates to (if any), date it was
made, gateway used, enter a description, transaction id and the amount
- Once complete, click the Add Transaction button to add the transaction to
- You can also add transactions directly from inside a clients profile or by
marking an invoice paid from the invoice management screen.
Applying Payment to an Invoice
If you receive a payment that isn't automatically logged in WHMCS, rather
than adding a manual transaction, you should apply it to the invoice it is for.
If one doesn't exist, you should first generate an invoice and then apply the
transaction in that way. To apply a transaction you do the following:
- Locate the invoice in the admin area
- Once on the invoice management screen for the invoice you want to mark paid,
click the Add Payment tab
- Now enter all the details about the payment into the fields shown such as
the gateway used, date, transaction ID and amount.
- You can pay part or all of the invoice or even apply more than the amount
due on the invoice. If you apply a payment to an invoice which is larger than
the amount due then any excess will automatically be added as credit to the user
for use on future invoices.
- Once all the fields are filled out, click the Add Payment button to add it
Finding a Transaction
Say for example you get notified a month after a transaction that it has been
subject to a chargeback or that it was fraudulently made. You need to locate
that transaction and what it was for. In the example below, we will be looking
for a transaction made by 2CheckOut with the transaction ID "6A5245278HM".
- Begin by going to Transactions > View Transactions List.
- This will show you a list of all the transactions made through the WHMCS
- Next, click the Filter tab at the top - the various filtering options
available will appear
- We know this transaction was made using 2CheckOut so we select 2CheckOut in
the Gateway Dropdown List
- We also know the transaction ID so we enter this in the Transaction ID field
as shown below
- Once you have completed selecting filter options, click Filter
- Any matching transactions will be displayed.
- From here we can see the transaction date, client who made it and the
invoice they were paying
- You can therefore take the appropriate action in suspending the users
account, removing the transaction and marking the invoice Cancelled
The Gateway Logs
If transactions aren't being automatically handled by WHMCS then it is often
useful to take a look at the transaction log. The transactions log can be viewed
by going to Transactions > Gateway Log.
If a payment return has been made by a payment gateway integrated with WHMCS
then details of the return will be listed here. Each return has three possible
outcomes - Successful, Invalid or Error.
- A successful payment return occurs when the payment is identified and
recorded by WHMCS automatically and any required actions are performed.
- An invalid return occurs when the data returned from the gateway is not
expected by WHMCS - for example the Invoice ID is wrong or the payment value
- Finally, an error return occurs if the data sent from the payment gateway
contains errors or cannot be verified
Invalid returns will occur from time to time when the data received is not
fully valid and are usually only random one offs. If you start getting a lot of
transactions coming back as invalid or as errors then you might want to contact
us so we can check it out.